Children’s Party Games For Under Fives
Entertainers can be brilliant … there was a wonderful one at a party we went to yesterday …
… but for most kids I think nothing quite beats a good old game of musical bumps :-)
We will certainly be having a whole load of good old fashioned children’s party games at my daughter’s upcoming birthday party in January.
But how do you organize children’s party games so it doesn’t all end in tears?
Children’s Party Games Tips
From my experience of our parties and the zillions of parties we seem to have been to the last two years, the best children’s party games are those in which no one goes out.
I am quite happy to have a winner, but as hostess the last thing I want is upset kids running off causing havoc somewhere else because they are “out”.
So I liberally spray the children with stickers … what child doesn’t love a sticker? … during the game and give a proper prize to the winner at the end.
I am also less keen on children’s party games where they have to take turns, e.g. pin the tail on the donkey. In my experience you start losing children’s attention and they peel off from the group. Once the group breaks up it’s much harder to bring it back together.
Favourite Children’s Party Games
I think, our fave party games have been Musical Bumps, Musical Animals, Duck Duck Goose, What’s the Time Mr Wolf and Pass the Parcel.
Plus Sleeping Lions … everyone lies on there tummy and tries to be as still as possible … is brilliant whilst you’re setting food out. With the promise of a sticker if they don’t move they really will stay still for 5 minutes!!!
There are loads of other great children’s party games to choose from and we definitely plan to try out some new ones this year including Polo on a String and Musical Numbers.
I have to confess, I am also wondering whether we could get away with Pass the Balloon rather than Pass the Parcel. I don’t know why, but it does seem the most enormous fag wrapping up the parcels when you’ve got so much else to get ready. Bad mummy!!
30 Children’s Party Games
- Musical bumps
- Musical statues
- Musical chairs
- Musical cushions
- Musical hoops (best played outside)
- Musical animals … shout out an animal when the music stops and everyone pretends to be that animal
- Musical numbers … you have to jump on a number square when the music stops & if you’re on the number pulled from a hat you get a sticker
- Duck, duck, goose … sit in a circle, one person walks round outside saying duck, duck, duck and then pats someone on the head and says goose – the goose has to jump up and chase them round the circle
- What’s the time Mr Wolf?
- Honey bear
- Pass the parcel … if you’ve got lots of kids, have two parcels
- Pass the balloon .. same principle as pass the parcel but saves you the faff of wrapping up loads of presents
- Polo on a string … put a polo on a string, everyone sits in circle, someone in the middle has to guess where the polo is as everyone pretends to move it around
- Hot potato … pretend a foil covered potato is hot and pass it around, whoever has it when the music stops is out
- Pin the tail on the donkey / Peppa / Gruffalo
- Bottom shuffle race
- Crawling race
- Hokey cokey
- Sly fox
- Chocolate egg & spoon race
- Fishing for presents … have a big box full of small wrapped gifts with a magnetic washer attached to them, everyone fishes for presents in the box with rods make from sticks, string & magnets
- Walking the plank … have a balancing plank and prizes for getting to the end without falling off
- Simon Says
- Mother May I
- Grandma’s foot steps
- Hide & seek
- Tag / catch … best for outside parties
- Stuck in the mud … have to stay still when someone tags you until you are untagged
- Sleeping lions … everyone lies on the floor, either you’re out if you move or you get a sticker if you’re really still … this is brilliant when you’re getting tea out as it will keep them all quiet and out of the way ..
So there we go, 30 children’s party games to get the party off with a bang … what about you? What are your faves? Do share …