Chinese New Year is a great chance for some fun crafts with the kids.
And is also a fab opportunity to introduce kids to China as a country and it's amazing geography, wildlife, history and food.
Now my daughter's a little older - four today! - we'll try to take in at least some of the enormous Chinese New Year celebrations in London's China Town.
These should definitely inspire some super fun crafts for the 12 days of the New Year plus some fab music making and dance ... the cymbals in our lion dance parade may end up being pan lids but I am sure we'll manage to make enough noise to ward off evil spirits :-)
If you're looking for fun Chinese New Years crafts and learning activities for your kids do check out the ideas below ... and if you've got your own do share them at the bottom of the post ...
Chinese New Year Crafts for Kids
Hand Print Dragon Painting - Create Town
Chinese New Year Puppets - Red Rose Mummy
Kids who have mastered or are just mastering scissors will love some Chinese paper cutting activities. You could just let the kids go freestyle on some folded red paper but Owl On a Brain Tree has these nice simple figures which mean Double Happiness ...
Ang Bao Pao Lantern - ET Speaks from Home
No Chinese New Year would be complete without lanterns and as Rainy Day Mum shows they really don't need to be fancy to be fun ...
Folded Paper Dragons - Teach Kids Art
Super cute jar top & glitter Tingsha bells from Crafty Moms Share ...
Chinese New Year Drums - Crafts N Things for Children
Hand Print Dragon Puppet - Ba Ba Beep
Paper Plate & Egg Box Dragon - My Poppet
Chinese New Year Read Envelopes - Sun Scholars
Hand Print Dragon - Handprint & Footprint Art
Diana Rambles and her daughter made these great bead creatures for the year of the snake but I am sure we could adapt for this year's Year of the Horse ...
Other Ideas ....
- Read Chinese New Year books such as The Dancing Dragon, Dragon Dance, Lion Dance
- Paint plain white lanterns
- Weave Chinese knots ... real Chinese knots are too tricky for kids ... and mummies ;-) ... but you could just do some free style knots and tassels with red yarn or wool
- Create horse Pictures with red yarn for the horse's mane and tail
- Keep the Chinese tradition of cleaning house before the New Year comes in ... sounds like a good excuse to get the whole family doing a bit of housework ;-)
- Learn how to do some basic Chinese calligraphy on big sheets of paper with paint brushes and black paint ... Guillaume Olive provides an lovely introduction specifically for kids
- Make lion masks and have your very own lion dance
- Make totally pretend fire crackers
- Ward off evil spirits by marching around the house clanging pan lids as cymbals
- Make panda masks ... we've been closely following the new baby panda at Taiwan zoo so I think this one will go down well
- Have a look at some Chinese art and make scroll paintings
- Free style draw an enormous map of China on an old roll of lining paper and build a Chinese wall all the way along the map
- Make a dragon boat
- Make and send Chinese New Year cards ... if you're looking for inspiration, check out these lovely ideas at Minted and Tiny Prints
- Make Chinese kimono
- Cook noodles
- Make believe stir fry ... make some play noodles from string and vegetables from felt and play stir frying in mummy's big wok
- Create a China wildlife map of China's unique mammals including the panda, golden haired monkey, South China tiger, white flag dolphin and alligator and look at home they are at risk
If you enjoyed this post do follow my Play Time board on Pinterest ...
Follow Mums make lists ...'s board Play time! on Pinterest.