This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here
It’s amazing how easy it is to spark the imagination of preschoolers with science experiments. I’ve put together a list of 20 super fun static and magnetism science experiments for preschoolers. Easy experiments that are as fun as they are educational.
20 FUN STATIC AND MAGNETISM SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS FOR PRESCHOOLERS
I love the way that every baby delights in the discovery of gravity …
“If I drop this from my chair or buggy or cot it will fall and mum will have to pick it up”.
… Although, I don’t remember Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation having too much to say about the latter 😉 …
I suspect the sheer delight in their first “experiment” is also why older toddlers and pre-schoolers are so fascinated by playing with magnetic and static forces that seem to defy that first learnt law. “Oh, wow, look … things don’t always fall!”
STATIC AND MAGETISM CONCEPTS
We’ve certainly had lots of fun with static balloons and magnets and we know that we can use their force to make some things “stick together” and to stop them falling but over the next few months am really keen to see if we can:
- Work out what things we can stick together and what we can’t?
- Stick together things that aren’t touching?
- Make things move towards other things?
- Make things move away from other things?
- Change whether or not things stick together?
- Use them to “bend” things?
- Make things jump up and down?
- Use them to “break” things up?
- Use them to find our way?
In advance of this I’ve been having lots of fun reading around other blogs for some preschool friendly experiments we can pillage.
And as I’ve spent so long researching fun experiments I thought I’d put together a list to share with you of the 20 best static and magnetic science experiments that are brilliant fun for preschoolers.
20 STATIC AND MAGNETIC SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS FOR PRESCHOOLERS
- A simple tray and jars for sorting magnetic objects – Sonshine Kids
- Moving magnetic objects through a plastic tub – Inspiration Laboratories
- Creating magnetic sculptures – Home School Escapade
- Making a simple compass – Kids Activities
- Exploring different metals – All for the Boys
- Magnetic sensory box – Creekside Learning
- Measuring how far magnet moves things – Camp Slop
- Making pipe cleaners in a plastic bottle move – Sunny Day Today Mama
- Extracting paper clips from a jar of water – Mommy Me – The Wonder Years and Early Education and Cuba Antek (this is in Polish so you need to get your browser to translate but then some great visuals & ideas)
- Magnetic bottles – Familylicious
- How many paper clips can you pick up with one magnet – Kid Spot
- Lifting up a dollar bill – Kids Activities (curious to discover if works with the £!)
- How many balloons will stick to your head? Blog Me Mom
- Picking up paper with balloons – Mrs Mouthy & Making ghosts dance – Life in the Unknown
- Moving a can with a balloon – Play Based Learning
- Popping balloons – Play Based Learning
- Bending water – Life with More Babies and Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Separating pepper from salt with static – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Moving paper in a static bottle – Getting Messy with Ms Jessi
- Jumping pop corn – Raising Sparks
We have had so much fun with these stagic and magnet experiments … and keep coming back to them over and over again … we do hope you enjoy …
Want to find more great activities for kids? Take a look at my Kids Activities content.
PIN TO SAVE: