And some organic baby products really are pricey but these tips show how easy it is to go green and actually save money at the same time.
All those gorgeously cute things in the baby shop are super tempting but the clothes will only last a few months at most and lots more stuff will barely see out the year.
You’ll then tear your hair out wondering where on earth to store all the stuff you bought.
Getting hold of as much as you can “pre-loved” will save you a fortune and you can easily pass it on without begrudging all the money you spent.
Uber-eco mamas who do it all can be a tad intimidating but don’t throw in the towel completely on your efforts to be green if you don’t manage to breastfeed or cloth diaper – as this list shows there’s loads of easy green things you can do and each one of them makes a difference.
Tips for a Green Baby
- If you can’t manage cloth diapers use biodegradable ones
- Make your own wipes – many contain propylene glycol & parabens –
- Or at least get biodegradable wipes
- Use plastic bags frugally & biodegradable ones when you must
- Make your own purees
- Introduce baby led weaning so they eat what you eat
- Ask everyone you know with kids if they’ve got hand me downs
- Buy furniture & big items 2nd hand – but buy mattress & car seat new
- If buying furniture new look to see if comes from sustainable sources
- Buy high quality pre-loved clothes from a consignment service
- Get books from the library
- Start a book and toy pool with friends
- Pick up toys from charity shops
- Avoid bubble bath like the plague as it dries skin & aggravates eczma
- Use olive oil rather than chemically based “baby” oils
- Ditch the heavy chemicals & use vinegar, lemon & baking soda for cleaning
- Potty train early – controversial but a year of nappies in landfill is a lot of trash
- Buy organic cotton whenever you can – crops are heavily sprayed with chemicals
- Get a stroller that will easily fit on public transport & leave the car behind
- Get wheels for your infant+ car seat so you can easily take the train
- Look for zero VOC paints to decorate nurseries
- Buy wooden toys from sustainable sources whenever you can
- Get rid of wee, poo & sick smells & stains with baking soda