But there is a lot of sense to the old adage “breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper.”
The calories … and fats and sugar … you eat at breakfast can get burnt off throughout the day with even moderate exercise whilst those at supper time don’t. So if, like me, you’re trying to lose weight, it makes sense to have a big meal first thing.
And although breakfast obviously can be un-healthy there’s lots of simple ways to make even a big breakfast healthier including …
- Smoothies packed full of 2 or 3 helpings of fruit or veg
- Pancakes, bread & rolls made with whole wheat or spelt flour
- Muffins & scones crammed with loads more fruit & veg
- Low GI oats that keep you going throughout the morning
- Fab savoury dishes that will leave you only needing a light supper
And as these fabulous contributions to my Empty Your Archive party show, you can eat healthily at breakfast without in anyway sacrificing the taste!
Pancakes & Waffles
And you can pile them high with fresh fruit or a fabulous fruit compote like this strawberry and rhubarb one from Season of Sweets … plenty of fruit daily is really important for weight loss and you can cut sugar right down.
Muffins & Scones
I could go on about the wonders of muffins all day … and I have 😉 But they are great with spelt flour and you can absolutely jam them full of whatever odds and sod of leftover fruit or veg that you have to use up.
Scones are also great with spelt or whole wheat flour – as these from Be Healthy Be Happy Wellness – and like muffins can be stuffed full of fruit or veg.
And you can make super healthy toppings for the bread like this wonderful peanut butter from De Jong Dream House which includes amazing chia seeds.
Oat Meal & Cereal
How fabulous are oats? They’re miracle workers if you’re breast feeding and great for breakfast if you’re losing weight as they keep you full all morning.
There’s so many easy options that will set you up for the day … how about …
- omelettes like these salmon ones from Loris Culinary Creations
- Texas Hill Country style gluten free quiche from Seasoned Homemaker
- special breakfast pizzas like these from The Good Long Road
- an Italian Frittata like this one from Cooking with Curls
- bacon kebabs from Bangers & Mash
- grilled polenta & eggs from Turnips 2 Tangerines
- or healthy breakfast burritos from Tumbleweed Contessa
What about you, what are your favourite big breakfast ideas? Do let us know below… and if you’ve enjoyed this post, why not check out some of the other posts in our Health & Self section.