Do you have a love-hate relationship with coffee?
I know I do!
I LOVE the smell, the sound of the expresso pot starting to bubble on the stove, the dark glossiness of a great roast, the rich flavour and that kick as it jolts you into action …
I HATE waking up and feeling like the walking dead until the first cup kicks in. I hate becoming wound up and irritable as I drink more and more throughout the day.
Plus I KNOW I feel so much healthier, calmer and happier if I cut right down or even better quit caffeine.
Caffeine addiction is a pain
You know that headache you have in the morning until you have your first cup?
That headache is not tiredness.
That headache is caffeine withdrawal symptoms.
They kick in after just 18 hours.
And boy can they be brutal!
Cold turkey can mean three days of searing headaches, the shakes and even vomiting … seriously it can be that bad!
Not pretty, heh?
So if you can, it make sense to quit or at least cut down gradually.
I now make a real effort to cut down thee or four times per year, simply by focusing on alternative ways of energising myself and trying as hard as I can to get a good night’s sleep.
From my repeated efforts to cut down on coffee and kick my caffeine addiction to the curb, I’ve found the easy tips below really help.
Easy Tips to Cut Down Caffeine
- Add decaf to your coffee and gradually increase until mostly decaf
- Buy a smaller cup size or make a smaller pot or cup
- Alternate caffeinated & decaf drinks
- Don’t drink any caffeine based drinks after midday
- To wake yourself up get outside in natural light as early as possible
- For a natural boost try hot water & lemon juice first thing
- Carry bottle of water with you at all times & drink whenever tempted
- Snack on fruit and other healthy high energy snacks between meals to keep energy up
- Walk briskly outside for at least one 20 minute spell every day
- Eat a low GI breakfast & lunch so you don’t have a sugar slump
- When you feel sluggish get up & walk around
- Find caffeine free alternative drinks you really like & stock up
- If you drink coffee when stressed, practice deep breathing exercises
- To get best night’s sleep you can keep gadgets out of the bedroom
- Improve your sleep by going to bed & getting up at the same time
- Calculate money you could save by not going to coffee shops – wow!
- If you go cold turkey expect 3 days of crippling headache & even vomiting!
- Expect to feel withdrawal symptoms for 2 weeks after giving up
If you’re struggling with a love-hate coffee habit that is making you anxious and irritable, I really hope these tips help.
Pin for later: