This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here
Here is a list of 30 natural remedies for morning sickness that you can take during the early weeks of your pregnancy to help stop you feeling nauseous.
30 NATURAL REMEDIES FOR MORNING SICKNESS
You’re deliriously happy and unbelievably excited having received the best news of your life.
You’re pregnant – hurrah!!
But you feel so nauseous.
You have morning sickness.
It. Is. Not. Fun.
What is morning sickness?
Morning sickness is one of the most common issues in early pregnancy.
Around 85% of women suffer morning sickness to some degree during their first trimester.
It usually starts around the sixth week of pregnancy and starts to ease of or stop around the twelfth week.
An unlucky minority of pregnant women suffer morning sickness well into their second trimester, and in rare circumstances until the end of their pregnancy.
If, like the Duchess of Cambridge (formerly Kate Middleton), you are suffering from a very extreme form of morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidardum, you must seek medical help, because it can be dangerous for you and your baby.
The symptoms of morning sickness are a result of your body’s reaction to the high levels of pregnancy hormones in your body.
‘Morning sickness’ is such a misnomer.
It can happen at any point during the day.
A lot of women do find it worst when they first wake up.
But it can also be caused by certain smells, certain foods – foods that you might previously have loved – brushing your teeth too close to your throat.
Maybe morning sickness is nature’s way of introducing new mums-to-be, to the bitter-sweetness that is motherhood…. it is totally wonderful, but sometimes it sucks!
Natural remedies for morning sickness
It’s a good idea to avoid taking medication unless absolutely directed to do so by a medical professional during pregnancy.
So the best way to deal with the symptoms of morning sickness is to use natural remedies.
My personal favourite natural remedy for morning sickness, which I had from around week four until week 16 of my pregnancy, was to have a banana by the bed, which I would eat before I got up in the morning.
It was a good way to balance my blood sugar before I started the day.
But different things work for different people.
So here is a list of over 30 natural remedies for morning sickness that I have put together from asking friends and family who’ve suffered with morning sickness.
Hopefully you will find a few remedies on the list that really work for you.
30 Natural Remedies for Morning Sickness
- Eat a dry biscuit / cookie 30 minutes before you get up
- Have a banana ready to eat in bed before you get up
- Eat a small snack before bed
- Eat little and often
- Smell a cut lemon
- Lemon tea
- Fizzy lemon or fizzy orange … I discovered San Pellegrino Aranciata which worked brilliantly for me and as I discovered via Google loads of other moms too 🙂
- Lucozade – but watch out for caffeine and other stuff in it
- Especially formulated morning sickness tea – e.g. Mother To Be, Earth Mama Morning Wellness,
- Plain dry crackers
- Ginger cookie …
- Ginger beer
- Ginger tea … Yogi & Stash both do a lemon ginger tea which gives you a double whammy of relief!
- Ginger in food
- Ginger sweets … e.g. Tummy Drops that were developed by doctors for nausea
- Ginger chewing gum … e.g. from Sea Band
- Relaxation exercises
- Fizzy water
- Avoid acidic foods e.g. citrus fruit, tomatoes
- Drink 30 minutes before eating
- Take slow release iron pills
- Suck ice cubes / lollies
- Suck boiled sweets – you can get some, e.g. Preggie Pops, specially formulated for morning sickness
- Avoid high fat food
- Avoid spicy food
- Peppermint tea
- Mints – e.g. Tummy Drops do some specifically for nausea
- Just eat whatever takes your fancy
- Chamomile tea
- Vitamin B6 rich food e.g. pepper, tuna, chicken, turkey, spinach, cod, rice, garlic
- Acupressure wrist bands – e.g. from Sea Band Mama and Acu Strap
- Take short naps
- Get someone else to cook – if smell makes you nauseous
- Homeopathic granules e.g. from Good Morning Mama, King Bio … don’t have great reviews but seem to work for some
- Essential oil spray e.g. Happy Mama Spray
I really hope that you find some of these suggestions useful, morning sickness really can get you down, so I hope that some of these remedies help lift you back up again.
Please do take a look at some of my other pregnancy and new baby posts to help you get ready for the new addition to your family.
- ALL THE NEW MOM AND BABY POSTS IN ONE PLACE
- FIRST TRIMESTER PREGNANCY TIPS
- 5 FIRST TRIMESTER PREGNANCY MUST-HAVES
- WHAT TO PUT IN A MORNING SICKNESS SURVIVAL KIT
- 30 NATURAL REMEDIES FOR MORNING SICKNESS
- WHAT TO PUT IN A FIRST TRIMESTER CARE PACKAGE
- HOSPITAL BAG ESSENTIALS CHECKLIST: AKA THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY NEED FOR YOU AND YOUR NEWBORN BABY
- FREE HOSPITAL BAG CHECKLIST PDF PRINTABLE
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO WRITING A BIRTH PLAN
- COPING WITH POLYHYDRAMNIOS
- THE ULTIMATE BABY REGISTRY CHECKLIST AND BEST REGISTRIES GUIDE
- IS IT RUDE TO PUT EXPENSIVE ITEMS ON BABY REGISTRY?
- WHAT DO YOU NEED AFTER GIVING BIRTH?
- NEWBORN BABY ESSENTIALS CHECKLIST LIST. PLUS FREE PRINTABLE CHECKLIST
- BUILDING TOYS FOR BABIES
- BEST BEDSIDE CO-SLEEPER CRIBS AND BASSINETS 2020
- ESSENTIAL BABY TOYS FOR BABY’S FIRST YEAR
- BABY SLEEP TIPS
- BREASTFEEDING TIPS
- SIMPLE TIPS TO INCREASE BREASTMILK SUPPLY
- TOP TIPS – CRADLE CAP
- INTRODUCING SOLIDS WITH BABY LED WEANING
- HOW TO RELIEVE BABY REFLUX
- TOP TIPS TO REDUCE COLIC
Pin to save:
I really hope you’ve found this post useful. If you’re suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG) severe symptoms the most important thing you must do is to seek the help of your doctor.
Read more: Check out our Pregnancy focused posts for a bunch of useful information and tips on all aspects of being pregnant
Featured image: Photo by Daria Nepriakhina on Unsplash