Utility bills always make me go eeek!!!
This winter the mild weather in the UK has kept the heating bills down … there had to be some upside to the rain & floods!!
But we still pay a fortune on our utility bills.
Well, although lots of energy saving tips have you going round switching off every appliance in the house, the biggest energy guzzler after the heating is the kitchen
The oven, fridge, freezer, dish washer, washing machine & drier are the money guzzling culprits.
So if you want to save money by cutting your utility bills you need … once you’ve reduced your heating bills … to find ways of using less energy in the kitchen.
These 20 tips for using less energy when you’re preparing meals are a great place to start …
- Only boil the amount of water you need
- Heat water for cooking in kettle
- Make toast in the toaster not the grill
- Cook with saucepan lids on
- If only cooking in a small pan put it on the small ring
- Make sure gas only heats bottom of pan and doesn’t come up round sides
- Use segmented steamer to cook several different vegetables in one pan
- If you’ve got the oven on cook multiple things at a time
- Batch cook large quantities to freeze
- Cook food in smaller pieces … will take less time to cook through
- Turn cooker off 10 minutes before end of cooking
- Use a slow cooker
- Cool hot food outside fridge before putting in
- Defrost food in fridge overnight so not cooking from frozen
- Keep your freezer full
- Defrost fridge & freezer regularly if not self-defrosting
- Don’t pre-rinse dishes before putting in dishwasher
- Only run full loads in dishwasher
- Fill sink with hot water, don’t let it run
- Turn microwave off when not in use if not using clock
I’m pretty good at some of these already but I have got out of the habit of others … I’m not great at planning ahead to best use the oven and I am a shocker at letting hot water run!!
I really want to save money on the utility bills … no more eeks! … so I must get better.
How about you? What are your best tips on saving energy in the kitchen? Do share ..