Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Choosing a stroller / pushchair is one of the hardest things to do before you give birth. Here are some great tips for things to consider when making your decision.
How to choose the best stroller for your needs
How do you go about finding a travel system or stroller that will actually work for you?
And how do you avoid spending a fortune on something you come to loathe with a vengeance?
Choosing a stroller can be right up there with choosing a name for your baby!!
So I’ve put together a list of things it’s worth considering as you make your decision.
Things to consider when choosing a stroller
There are all sorts of guides out there on the “best buys” for strollers and pushchairs.
But having spent two years plus pushing one around for several miles per day, I think I’ve been able to draw up a good list of things to consider when you’re making your purchase decision.
It really does all come down to your lifestyle.
- Whether it will fit in your house
- Where you will store it when you’re at home
- Not too heavy to get up any stairs / in and out of car
- Comfortable height for everyone going to use it
- Not too wide
- Not too long
- Will it fits easily on public transport
- Whether you want it to face you or face forward or do both (which costs more money)
- Whether you want it to take a carry cot
- Whether you want it to take a car seat / infant carrier
- Whether you want to use it from birth or from when baby can sit up
- Is it easily collapsible
- Can it be extended to take 2 babies
- What is the amount of under seat storage
- How stable is it with bags on handle bars
- Is it suitable for rough terrain (if you’ve got a dog or want to go walking or on beach)
- Will it be suitable for jogging
- What is the re-sale value
- Is it easy to put up / take down
- Are the brakes easy to use / reliable
You’ll find more detailed tips and advice in this list you can download, edit, print off and scribble notes all over.
Try before you buy
Go and try out some strollers / pushchairs once you have a shortlist of the things you care most about.
I suggest going to a big store that carries a wide range.
But don’t buy a stroller there and then.
Find the best price for your stroller
Work out your preferences based on your shortlist and the strollers you like most in-store.
Then get to work doing some price research.
Don’t forget to look for discounts and coupon codes for top department stores.
It’s also worth bearing in mind seasonal discounting and holding off until then to buy your stroller.
Second hand strollers
Of course it’s lovely to have a brand new stroller, but there are so many pre-loved strollers out there.
Many of them still in great condition.
Buying second hand will save you a small fortune.
Plus it’s great to recycle wherever possible.
Check out eBay, local Facebook mum’s groups and Craigslist to see if you can find a well priced second hand stroller.
WhatsApp your friends to see if they know of anyone looking to sell the stroller you want.
I do hope these tips help you find the right stroller or travel system for you.