This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here.
Want to finally start winning at family organisation? Grab my FREE 10 Step Guide To Using Trello for family organisation and get started today!
It was great … weather wasn’t too bad … and little one had an amazing time rescuing lambs, paddling in brooks and actually doing a proper hike on her own two feet through the Dales.
The only blot on this idyllic image?
Little one bringing up lunch all over herself, the car seat, the car and mummy just before we arrived in the middle of nowhere!
So, this time I am going armed with a travel size container of the wonder drug that is bicarbonate of soda or, as it’s better known on the other side of the Atlantic, baking soda!
I reckon it totally beats most commercial products when you have got to clean up wee, sick and poo from buggies, car seats, carpets, curtains and the furniture.
Children – and animals – do have an unbelievable capacity to produce large volumes of un-speakableness, so definitely makes sense to have essential cleaning supplies to hand including:
- Wads of kitchen roll to mop up the surplus
- A supply of disposable rubber gloves for easily picking up poo
- A roll of disposable cloths – not very green but need for wiping up spray
- A scraper / spatula for scraping up poo / sick – disinfect afterwards
- A bundle of plastic bags – which you can easily grab & shove all stuff to be bunged
- Baking soda – you can sprinkle on directly once mopped/scraped up surplus
- Baking soda solution – just dissolve baking soda in water in a spray bottle
- White vinegar solution – mix a solution of half water / vinegar in spray bottle
- Lemon juice concentrate – good on some stains and smells nicer than vinegar
It’s then a question of these easy steps to clean up the mess and clear the smell:
- Pick up / scrape up any bits you can with spatula / kitchen roll / gloves
- Wash with soapy water using as little water as possible
- On small areas of fabric/carpet sprinkle baking soda and leave to dry
- On large areas or hard surfaces spray solution of baking soda, vinegar or lemon juice
- On badly stained/smelling surfaces sprinkle baking soda, soak with vinegar until it foams and then rub the foam well into the stained area
- Hoover up the baking soda
- Shove everything used in plastic bag, including hoover bag, and put in outside bin.
- Rinse out hoover pipe
I do hope these tips help in your hour of need! If you are looking for more sanity saving, family friendly quick tips for mums who … like us … really haven’t got a clue do check out our other cleaning posts.
And do share your own advice below … we love, love, love your tips!