This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here
Here’s a list of 113 things to throw away today that will help power purge your home of clutter when you have neither the time or brain bandwidth to do a full declutter.
113 Things to throw away today
There can’t be many of us who enjoy and like living in a cluttered home.
But doing something about being surrounded by clutter can be a massive undertaking.
Especially if you don’t have much spare time or brain bandwidth.
So here’s a quick power purge list of things you can throw away today to make a start on decluttering your home.
Of course it’s important to not simply throw everything in the rubbish bin. So remember to recycle what can be recycled and donate to charity shops where possible.
You might even find you have stuff cluttering your home that you can sell.
If you really want to get up some speed you could take just a couple of minutes to read my post on the best way to declutter your home fast using the 4 box method, which will give you a really easy way to declutter fast whilst sorting into rubbish, recycling and storage.
I’ve kept the list very top line, there’s no going into detail, so you can simply read the list and get going.
I’m not suggesting you do the whole list in one fell swoop.
Just dip in, get inspired and declutter away.
113 Things to throw away today
1. General stuff and paperwork
- Scraps of wrapping paper – you really will never use them!
- Old print outs
- Expired coupons and vouchers
- Coupons you will NEVER use
- Old invoices, bills and statements – shred! Set up online so you stop even getting paper versions
- Pens that are out of ink or don’t have a lid
- Old invitations
- Old tear sheets – bathroom inspiration, why keep it once the bathroom’s been made over?!
- Business cards – need the details? put them in your contacts
- Loyalty cards you never use
- Gift cards – what are you waiting for? use them before the expire!!
- Old printer ink cartridges
- Books you’ve read and will never read again
- Envelopes that you won’t ever get round to re-using
- Payslips older than five years
- Old post-it notes
- Stationery you bought but just aren’t for you – bullet journal anyone?!!
- Old mobile phone covers and accessories – YOU WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN
- Multiple pairs of scissors
- Old public transport tickets
- Used theatre and cinema tickets
- Junk mail
- Old birthday cards
- Out of date calendars
- Old diaries
- Old notebooks that have no spare room
- Takeaway menus – you can no doubt get them online
- Out of date product guarantees
- Product manuals – just go online for support
- Old unused batteries
2. Bathroom and bedroom
- Samples you will never get round to using
- Out of date toiletries
- Gunky nail polish
- Old make-up
- Travel size toiletries you never use
- Hotel freebies – just use them already! Or bin them!
- Spa freebies – as above!!
- Old toothbrushes
- Out of date medicines
- Hair accessories you never use and won’t ever use again
- Broken hair elastics
- Old prescription glasses
- Sunglasses you’ll never wear again – if they’re designer you could try selling them
- Perfume you no longer like
- Empty perfume bottles you’ve kept because they were expensive!
3. Tech stuff
- Computer cords and cables you don’t need
- Extension cables you never use
- Old mobile phones, tablets and tech gadgets
- Excess chargers – how many do you ACTUALLY NEED?!!
- Manuals – get all the info you need online
- Utensils you have more than one of
- Cooking utensils that are half broken
- Frying pans that have lost their non-stick
- Discoloured tea and coffee cups
- Chipped crockery of any kind
- Empty bottles you’ve kept just in case you can use them – you can’t and you won’t
- Almost empty cleaning products – decant into fuller ones
- Cleaning cloths that are beyond rags
- Storage containers and jars that you NEVER use
- Fridge food past its use-by date
- Freezer food that’s been in the freezer longer than six months
- Pantry herbs and spices past their use-by date
- Pantry jars and bags that contain food you know you’ll never use
- Old containers that no longer have a lid or a lid that works
- Excess plastic shopping bags you’re keeping out of guilt
- Recipe books you NEVER look at
- Old birthday candles that started to burn down
- Takeaway cutlery for that picnic you never remember to take it on
- Paper plates – see takeaway cutlery above!!
- Tableware you NEVER use. Start using it or get rid!
- Food supplements and vitamins that are out of date
- Placemats, napkins and table linen you NEVER use
5. Bedroom, linen cupboard, dressing room
- Worn out sheets
- Fitted sheets that have shrunk and no longer fit
- Old pillows that are lumpy or have no volume left
- Discoloured old towels
- Single gloves
- Old hole filled socks
- Tights you will never wear because they’re bobbly or have runs
- Clothes with holes
- Clothes that too small
- Stuff in your wardrobe that no longer suits you
- All the stuff you know will never fit you again
- Shoes that are beyond repair
- Clothing you were gifted that you don’t actually like
- Accessories that you NEVER wear – scarves, snoods…
- Mistake purchases – admit the mistake then give it away
- Hangers – broken, old, ugly, excessive numbers…
- All those buttons you’ve been storing in case a button falls off
- Damaged clothing that’s beyond repair
- Underwear that’s lost its elastic
- Bras that have wires sticking out
- Purses you never use, because you always use the same one
- Dressing gowns that hang on the back of the door 365 days per year
6. Living space
- Old magazines
- Newspaper older than one day
- Games missing pieces
- CDs – get into the 21st Century dude 😉
- DVDs – see above!
- Electronic kit that just sits there are doesn’t get used
- Old vases you never fill with anything
- Fancy catalogues you never buy stuff from but look good
- Drink coasters you don’t ever use
- That stack of tea-lights you never light
7. Kids stuff
- Old school books
- Craft supplies that are old and unused
- Children’s artwork – come on, you can’t keep ALL OF IT!!
- Toys that no longer get played with
- Clothes they’ve grown out of that hang around in their wardrobe anyway
- Party bag stuff that just hangs around
- Books they’ve grown out of reading or having read to them
So there you have it. A big long list of 113 things to throw away today – or in stages over a few days or weeks. But it’s all stuff that doesn’t take much brain bandwidth.
Pin to save: