I research and evaluate all recommended products and services. This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on links, I may receive compensation. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my commercial disclosure by clicking here.
If you’re looking for STEM gifts for girls, I’ve got you covered! There are so many options out there designed to encourage kids to explore their STEM skills it can be a little mind-blowing trying to decide which are best.
I am absolutely passionate about engaging girls with STEM subjects and made sure my daughter had plenty of STEM toys and kits from when she was a tot, so I know what makes a great STEM gift. I’ve put together a list of the best STEM gifts for girls, so you can just browse this list and buy.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO GET GIRLS TO ENGAGE WITH STEM?
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) education is becoming increasingly important in today’s world, but unfortunately, girls are often underrepresented in these fields.
Encouraging girls to engage with STEM subjects from a young age is essential for closing this gender gap and ensuring that girls have the same opportunities as boys in these fields. One of the best ways to do this is through hands-on play and experimentation with STEM toys and kits.
So I’ve put together a list of STEM toys and kits that make great gifts for girls, designed to spark their curiosity and creativity and help them develop the skills they need to succeed in the world of science, technology, engineering, and math.
Related: 27 Cool gifts for tween girls
STEM toys and kits help bring science alive in a fun way, and many of them don’t involve any screen time.
The more our kids learn about science through STEM and STEAM, the more well-equipped they will be to thrive and shine.
Read on to find out more about the gifts I recommend.
10 BEST STEM GIFTS FOR GIRLS
- Snap Circuits PLUS Electronics Exploration Kits
- Botley The Coding Robot | Learning Resources
- Learning Resources City Engineering and Design Building Set
- Galt Toys Body Lab Biology Science Kit
- Osmo - Genius Starter Kit for iPad (New Version)
- Magna-Tiles Stardust 15 Piece Set
- Hot Wires: Plug and play electronics set
- Galt Toys, Giant Science Lab
- Soap & Bath Bomb Science Lab
- Slinky Scientific Explorers Magic Science Kit
With over 50 projects, the Snap Circuits PLUS Electronics Exploration Kit is a brilliant STEM gift for a girl. It is an engaging and hands-on way to learn about electronics and engineering.
Girls can explore circuits, motors, and other electronic components. They can build everything from a radio to a light-up fan. The kit is really easy to use. It comes with clear instructions. It is a great way for girls to develop problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. It is perfect for capturing the imagination of any child interested in science and technology.
Botley, The Coding Robot, is a super cute robot that is a brilliantly fun STEM gift for introducing girls to coding and robotics.
With Botley, kids can learn to code through hands-on play, using a simple remote control to program the robot's movements and actions.
There are also activity cards to create coding challenges and games. The step-by-step instructions are clearly laid out, so parents won't spend hours working it all out. Botley is a great way for kids to develop problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. Plus, with its cute gender-neutral design, Botley is a great gift for girls interested in science and technology.
Learning Resources City Engineering and Design Building Set is a fun construction set with over 100 pieces kids can use to build their own city with buildings, bridges, and other structures.
The set includes activity cards with design challenges to encourage kids to put their engineering skills to the test.
The pieces are easy to snap together, but younger kids might need an adult to help with construction.
Galt Toys create some brilliant STEM sets for kids; we've had several of them over the years. The Body Lab Biology Science Kit is a great way to help kids to understand biology and human anatomy.
The kit includes everything kids need to conduct experiments and learn about the human body. The set has a human body model with removable organs, a skeleton model and other anatomy tools.
An experiment guide in the set guides kids around the body's different systems, from the circulatory system to the digestive system.
Osmo was founded in 2013 to inspire the youngest generation, and its Osmo Genius Starter Kit for iPad (New Version) has been a super popular STEM hit ever since. This award-winning educational toy is designed to help kids develop their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
The Starter Kit includes five games covering various subjects, from math and spelling to coding and problem-solving. In addition, kids can use the Osmo Base and reflector to interact with the games on their iPad to add an extra level of interactivity. This is also great for turning screen time into something educational and positive.
The games are designed to be challenging but not frustrating, so kids can build their confidence and skills as they play.
The kit is really easy for parents to set up. You will need your mobile to hand in to receive the access codes. But it should take at most ten minutes to get it set up.
The Magna-Tiles Stardust 15-Piece Set includes 15 translucent, glittery pieces that can be used to build all sorts of structures, from castles and towers to spaceships and robots.
The pieces are easy to use, with magnets that snap together. Kids can use their imagination and creativity to build whatever they dream up while developing their motor and problem-solving skills. This starter Stardust set is compatible with other Magna-Tiles sets, so kids can expand their collection and build even more elaborate structures.
The Hot Wires: Plug and Play Electronics Set is a really fun way to introduce girls aged 8-12 to electronics and engineering. This set has over 100 pieces, including wires, switches, and circuits, for kids to build electronic projects.
The instructions are easy to follow, and there are over 100 projects, from a flying saucer to a burglar alarm. Kids can also get creative and design their own projects.
The pieces are colour-coded and snap together easily. It is a great way for kids to build their engineering skills alongside flexing their creativity.
The Galt Toys Giant Science Lab is great for kids who love to do science experiments. This kit has over 60 experiments across five different areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and biology.
Kids can learn about everything from crystals and magnets to light and sound. The kit has all the materials and instructions needed to conduct the experiments, making it easy and safe for kids to learn through hands-on play.
The Dan & Darci Soap & Bath Bomb Science Lab is a brilliant way to engage girls with chemistry through making beauty products. The kit includes everything girls need to make soap and bath bombs, including moulds, ingredients, and instructions.
Kids can learn about the science behind soap and bath bombs as they mix and make their products.
The Slinky Scientific Explorers Magic Science Kit includes everything kids need to conduct magic-themed science experiments, including test tubes, a wand, and instructions for 9 activities.
Kids can learn everything from chemical reactions to polymers as they create their potions and perform magic tricks.
The experiments are designed to be engaging and fun.
Related: Best gifts for 12-year-old girls that they will. actually love
STEM GIFT BUYERS GUIDE
Here are some things to remember to ensure you buy a STEM toy or kit that truly engages and inspires your child:
- Age-appropriate: Ensure the toy or kit is appropriate for your child’s age and skill level.
- Educational value: Look for toys and kits that offer STEM educational value, such as teaching basic concepts in science, technology, engineering, and math. The best STEM toys and kits will make learning fun and engaging.
- Safety: Ensure that the toy or kit is safe for your child. Look for products tested and certified by a reputable safety organization.
- Interactivity: Choose toys and kits that encourage interaction and collaboration. Look for toys and kits that allow children to work together, solve problems, and build things together.
- Creativity: Look for toys and kits that encourage creativity and innovation. The best STEM toys and kits inspire your child to think outside the box and come up with new ideas.
- Fun factor: Finally, choose toys and kits that are fun and engaging. Look for products your child will enjoy playing with and keep them entertained for hours on end.
WHY WE OWE IT TO OUR DAUGHTERS TO HELP THEM ENGAGE WITH STEM SUBJECTS
Here is a list of some of the reasons why girls still tend to lag behind in STEM subjects and STEM-based careers:
- Stereotypes and biases: Pervasive cultural stereotypes suggest that STEM fields are more suited to men than women. This can lead to biases in hiring and promotion, as well as lead to lower expectations and self-doubt among girls and women.
- Lack of role models: Girls may see few women in STEM fields, making it difficult for them to envision themselves pursuing these careers.
- Socialisation: From a young age, girls may be socialised to believe they are not as good at math and science as boys. This can lead to lower confidence and self-esteem in these subjects.
- Educational environment: Some schools and classrooms may need a more inclusive and supportive environment for girls to learn and excel in STEM subjects.
- Lack of exposure: Girls may have access to different opportunities for exposure to STEM subjects and careers than boys, such as after-school programs and internships.
It is important to address these barriers and work towards creating a more equitable and inclusive environment for girls in STEM.
This includes promoting positive stereotypes and role models, providing access to STEM education and opportunities, and creating a supportive and inclusive educational environment.
A great way for parents to start the process is by ensuring that their daughters have access to fun and engaging STEM toys and kits, so they can build their confidence and discover a love for STEM.
Luci is the founder of Mums Make Lists (Est. 2011). Over the last decade or so, she has used her experience as a mum to create useful guides to organising family life. During that time, she has found the most joy in creating lists of ideas and inspiration to make it easier for busy parents to plan and host kids’ parties and find great gifts. Read more.