I research and evaluate all recommended products and services. This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on links, I may receive compensation. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my commercial disclosure by clicking here.
Let’s face it, funding kids’ fun during the summer can be expensive! So here is a list of ten prop-free outdoor games for kids to play that will cost you precisely no money!
Now when I say ‘prop-free’, I mean that you don’t need to buy anything for your kids to be able to play these games. Some games will need you to use something you already own, like a ball or… a potato!!
10 PROP-FREE OUTDOOR GAMES KIDS WILL LOVE
- Red Light, Green Light: One person is the “stoplight”, and the other players try to reach them without getting caught moving when the stoplight says “red light.”
- Simon Says: One person gives commands starting with “Simon says,” and the other players must follow the commands. If the command is given without “Simon says,” players should not do it.
- Mother, May I?: One person is “Mother”, and the other players ask for permission to take steps forward. Mother can only grant permission if they say, “Mother, may I?”
- Duck, Duck, Goose: Players sit in a circle, and one person walks around tapping others on the head, saying “duck.” When they tap someone and say “goose,” the goose chases them around the circle.
- Sharks and Minnows: One person is the shark, and the other players are minnows. The minnows try to get to the other side of the playing area without being tagged by the shark.
- Freeze Tag: One person is “it” and tries to tag other players. When a player is tagged, they must freeze until another player unfreezes them by crawling between their legs.
- Kick the Can: One person is “it” and guards a can. Other players try to kick the can without being tagged by “it.” If they are tagged, they go to “jail” until another player kicks the can and frees them. Prop needed: A tin can.
- Sardines: One person hides, and other players try to find them. When someone finds the hidden person, they hide with them until everyone is crammed into the hiding spot like sardines.
- Capture the Flag: Divide players into two teams and give each team a flag. The objective is to capture the other team’s flag and bring it back to your side without getting tagged by the other team. Prop needed: A bandana or scarf.
- Hot Potato: Players pass a ball or object around while music plays. When the music stops, the person holding the object is out. The last person standing wins. Prop needed: A potato or ball.
PIN TO SAVE:
Hello, I’m Luci, founder of Mums Make Lists (Est. 2011). Over the last decade or so, I have combined my experience as a mum, journalist and shopping editor to create useful guides and lists of ideas and inspiration to make it easier for busy parents to plan and host kids’ parties and find great gifts. Plus I create beautiful party printables, from invites to party games. Read more.