In this post, I share my Christmas food shopping list to help you plan all the essential groceries you need to buy for your family’s main Christmas dinner meal and other food for Christmas day. You can also download my FREE Christmas grocery list and meal plan printable (no email address needed).
PLANNING YOUR CHRISTMAS FOOD SHOPPING LIST
I learned a long time ago that the best way to keep stress-levels down in the run up to Christmas is to spend time planning for Christmas Day in advance.
One of the most important things I do every year is to write out my Christmas food shopping list. I tend to do the first draft of my list in October. This may seem early, but I like to get it done as soon as I’ve drawn up our Christmas budget for the year.
It’s not that I don’t tweak or update my Christmas day menu nearer to the time, it’s just that it is easier to have a basic plan in place, rather than scrabbling to come up with a menu when there are 101 other things going on in December.
If you’re not used to spending time planning your grocery shopping, I have a very popular post on how to start planning your weekly food shopping, including tips on how to create a master grocery list and some free grocery list and meal plan printables.
KEEP YOUR CHRISTMAS DINNER MENU SIMPLE
The other thing that I’ve learned over the years of planning and hosting Christmas day, is to keep my Christmas dinner menu simple!!! It’s very easy to get carried away planning three different kinds of potato dishes, numerous homemade sauces and side dishes. But actually, the easiest way to create a total mouth-watering Christmas dinner is to focus on buying the best quality produce and planning a meal where everything on the menu complements everything else.
This way you get to actually have the energy to sit down and enjoy eating Christmas dinner with your family and guests, rather than arriving at the table in a hot mess and feeling too exhausted to actually enjoy it.
CHRISTMAS FOOD SHOPPING CHECKLIST
I’ve put together a Christmas shopping checklist of all the things that I include in my main Christmas day food shop. This is based on my Easy Christmas Dinner Menu.
CHRISTMAS DAY FOOD CHECKLIST
Greaseproof paperAPPETIZER 1
Smoked mackerel pâté (buy it or see my recipe to buy ingredients to make your own)
Sourdough bread for toasting and serving on
Crostini or baguette for serving onMAIN COURSE
Turkey (or meat of choice)
Pigs in blankets (buy whole or make with chipolatas and bacon)
Stuffing (buy or make)
Potatoes for roasting
Cranberry sauceSIDE DISHES HONEY ROASTED PARSNIPS AND CARROTS
CeleriacBRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE
Small red cabbage
Red wine vinegar
Light brown muscovado
Redcurrant jellyBRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH PANCETTA
Selection of cheeses
Mulled wine (buy it or make it with red wine, mulling spices, oranges)
Cordial for teetotallers and kids
CHRISTMAS GROCERY SHOPPING LIST AND MEAL PLAN TEMPLATE
To help you plan your Christmas day food I’ve put together a PDF printable Christmas grocery shopping list and meal plan template. I’ve included a meal plan area which has sections for appetizers, main course items, side dishes, dessert, cheeseboard and drinks. Plus there is a grocery shopping list to note down each ingredient or food item you need for each recipe or dish.
I really hope that sharing my simple Christmas food shopping list and meal plan template helps you to plan your Christmas day food and feel a little less stressed and overwhelmed than you might otherwise.
Don’t forget to take a look at my Easy Christmas Day Menu, it includes links to some great recipes for all the dishes mentioned. You might also like to take a look at my week-by-week Christmas planner, it really will help make it easier for you to plan for Christmas this year.
- THE HOME OF CHRISTMAS ON MUMS MAKE LISTS
- WEEK BY WEEK CHRISTMAS PLANNER
- SIMPLE CHRISTMAS GIFT SHOPPING PLANNER
- EASY HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS
- 21 DIY GIFT WRAPPING IDEAS AND TUTORIALS
- EASY CHRISTMAS BAKING TREATS FOR KIDS
- 10 DIY DOLLAR STORE DECORATIONS
- 18 CHRISTMAS CAKE DECORATING IDEAS
- CHRISTMAS CRAFTS TO KEEP KIDS OCCUPIED
- 10 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR HOME SMELL LIKE CHRISTMAS
- DELICIOUS NONALCOHOLIC MOCKTAILS
- HOMEMADE ADVENT CALENDARS
- SCANDINAVIAN DECORATIONS FOR THE HOME
- HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS CHOCOLATES AND SWEETS
- ECO-FRIENDLY CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS
- THE BEST STOCKING FILLER IDEAS FOR KIDS
- HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE CHRISTMAS EVE BOX FOR KIDS
- EASY CHRISTMAS DINNER MENU
- CHRISTMAS LETTER BOARDS AND ICONS
- HOW TO MAKE AN EASY BUT BEAUTIFUL CHRISTMAS WREATH
- EASY CHRISTMAS MARSHMALLOW CRAFT RECIPES
- 100 GREAT IDEAS FOR EASY HOMEMADE GIFTS
- ZERO WASTE CHRISTMAS IDEAS
- 11 ZERO WASTE CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS
- HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS CANDY GIFTS
- EASY CROCKPOT CHRISTMAS CANDY
- CHRISTMAS CROCKPOT SLOW COOKER DRINKS
- CHRISTMAS TREE DECORATIONS AND THEMES
- 16 HOMEMADE GIFT TAG IDEAS
- WASHI TAPE CHRISTMAS CRAFT IDEAS
- DIY MASON JAR CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS
- MASON JAR CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS
- BRILLIANT SIMPLE CHRISTMAS WREATH VIDEOS
- CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVING TIPS