This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here.
Here’s my list of the best FREE baby sewing patterns, printable patterns for baby clothes.
FREE BABY CLOTHES PATTERNS
This is a roundup of some of the loveliest free baby patterns around online. Use them to make new clothes for your baby or use them to make a gift for someone else’s baby.
FREE BABY ROMPER AND ONESIE PATTERNS
1. BABY ROMPER PATTERN FREE
This baby romper suit is adorable, the free printable sewing pattern is easy to follow and the romper fairly easy to make. You can add ruffles for an even cuter look. Age: Newborn to 12 months.
2. SIMPLE SUMMER ROMPER PATTERN
This easy to make summer romper pattern is quick and easy to sew. Great for baby boys and baby girls. It has a loose fit which makes it very comfortable for playing in. It’s a beginner level sewing pattern. Age: 12 months
GET FREE PATTERN: Summer Romper Pattern by If Only Designs
3. Free kimono baby onesie pattern
This is a basic, beginner-level easy baby onesie pattern from So Sew Easy on BluPrint. The kimono onesie is front opening, which makes it perfect for dressing wriggly little babies. This is a free printable baby onesie pattern (printable PDF pattern). The pattern is easy for beginner sewers to make. Age: 3 months to 9 months
4. Gathered baby romper by Yuzu and Pear
This is a very easy to sew baby romper with shoulder and bottom snap openings for easy access. The gathered waist makes is roomy for babies to move in. It’s great for protecting the bottoms and thighs and is very good for little babes who are learning how to crawl and walk. Age: 6 months, 12 months and 18 months.
GET THE PATTERN: Gathered baby romper by Yuzu and Pear
5. DIY T-Shirt to Baby Romper by Handmade Heather
Age: 6 months
GET THE PATTERN: DIY T-shirt to baby romper by Handmade Heather
6. free Baby boy romper pattern
GET THE PATTERN: Baby Boy Romper – Melly Sews
7. free baby Sunsuit romper
GET THE PATTERN: Baby sunsuit tutorial by Made by Rae
8. Baby onesie pattern free
GET THE PATTERN: Baby Ringer Onesie – Shwin
MORE ONESIE AND ROMPER PATTERNS
BABY DRESS, PINAFORE & skirt SEWING PATTERNS
Here are some of the loveliest baby dress patterns that are free download.
1. CROSSOVER PINAFORE SEWING PATTERN
This is a gorgeous crossover pinafore dress for a baby, with a simple to use pattern you can download for free and easy to follow instructions in the post. Age: 6 months to 12 months
GET THE PATTERN: Crossover pinafore pattern by Smashed Peas and Carrots
2. Crisscross pinafore and bloomers pattern
GET THE PATTERN: Criss Cross Pinafore & Bloomers – Blank Slate Patterns [UPDATE: PATTERN IS NOW BEING SOLD. I’ve left it on the list as the image features in many of my Pinterest pins and I don’t want to disappoint anyone.]
3. free baby Peasant dress SEWING pattern
GET THE PATTERN: Peasant Dress – Sew Much Ado
4. Easy peasy infant dress sewing pattern
This is a really fun to make infant dress sewing pattern. The dress only takes a couple of hours to sew. Age: Newborn to 3 months
GET THE PATTERN: Easy peasy infant dress sewing pattern by The Stitching Scientist
More DRESS SEWING patterns
- Simple baby dress pattern by Melly Sews. Age: 0 – 3 months
- Easy criss-cross baby dress pattern by Melly Sews. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- The Abbey dress sewing pattern by Shwin Designs. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- Knit dress free sewing pattern by Melly Sews. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- Little geranium baby dress pattern by Made by Rae. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- Summer breeze baby dress by Shwin Designs. Age: 3-6 months
- The Baby Dress by The Stitching Scientist. Age: 6 – 9 months
- Upcycle T-Shirt into Toddler Dress by Renee Sherwood on BluPrint. Age: 12 – 18 months
- Rachel Skirt Pattern by Ellie & Mac on BluPrint. Age: 12 months upwards
- The good deeds dress by Elysium on BluPrint. Age: 12 – 14 months
- Toddler Dress Pattern Easy Free Pattern With Video by Farmhouse on Boone. Age: 12 months to 18 months
BABY PANTS, SHORTS AND BOTTOMS SEWING PATTERNS
1. TINY EXPLORER PANTS PATTERN
These explorer baby pants are roomy and comfortable but don’t ride up the leg when your baby is crawling around exploring.
GET FREE PATTERN: Tiny Explorer Pants Pattern – Froginette
2. Cute Baby bloomers sewing pattern
This is a simple beginner level sewer pattern to make very practical, easy to wear baby bloomers. Age: Newborn to 6 months. 6 months to 12 months. 12 months to 18 months.
3. free Baby pants pattern
4. Bummies diaper cover pdf sewing pattern
This simple diaper cover can be made with or without a drawstring and you can choose to have elastic or knit bands for the legs. Age: Newborn to T3.
MORE PANTS, SHORTS AND BOTTOMS PATTERNS
- Ruffled baby bloomers pattern by Melly Sews. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- Baby tights pattern by Made by Rae. Age: Newborn to 3 months
- Knit fabric baby leggings by Made by Rae. Age: Newborn to 6 months
- Cute baby bloomers sewing pattern by SB Clothing on BluPrint. Age: Toddler 3 years old
- Sweet & Simple Bloomers by Sewing Mama RaeAnna on BluPrint. Age: Multi-age
- Ruffled diaper cover sewing pattern by See Kate Sew
- Newborn ruffle diaper cover tutorial and free pattern
- Ruffled bloomers by Sewing Rabbit
- Cuddly cute baby pants by Sew Much Ado
BABY TOPS, TUNICS, SWEATSHIRTS
1. HELLO LITTLE GIRL BABY TUNIC
This is sewing pattern is for a raglan sleeve tunic baby top. Age: Newborn to 3 months.
GET THE PATTERN: Hello Little Girl Baby Tunic by Shwin Shwin
2. Charlie sweatshirt pattern
This is a cosy shawl collar sweatshirt for a baby. Age: 6 months to 12 months.
3. Scuba raglan hooded sweatshirt pdf pattern
This beautiful scuba hood, raglan sleeve sweatshirt has faux piping on the sleeves to add interest to this hoodie. The pattern is perfect for a confident beginner. Age: Newborn to 6T.
4. Lapped Front Infant Hoodie: Tutorial and Pattern
This is a very sewing pattern and tutorial for a super-cool hoodie sweatshirt. There are no zippers, buttons or snaps, so it’s very easy to make. Age: Newborn to 3 months.
5. The ringer T-shirt
This is a super simple, easy to make baby T-shirt pattern and tutorial. There are options for long-sleeve and short-sleeve. Age: Newborn to 6 years old.
MORE BABY TOPS SEWING PATTERNS
- Summer tunic free downloadable sewing pattern by Shwin. Age: 12-18 months
- Flutterby flared baby girl top by Maybe She Made It. Age: 18 months
FREE BIB PATTERNS
- Easy wipe baby bib sewing pattern by Melly Sews
- Spit bib tutorial and free pattern by Sew Much Ado
- Drool bib sewing pattern by Melly Sews
USEFUL TIPS FOR SEWING BABY CLOTHES
Before you dive into the rest of the list of sewing patterns, here are some tips for getting started making your own baby clothes, the kit you need and the best fabrics for making baby clothes with and a list of the benefits of making baby clothes.
1. TIPS FOR MAKING BABY CLOTHES
- Time – babies grow and they grow fast! Make sure you allow enough time to make the outfit so that the baby has plenty of time to wear it.
- Comfort – think about the comfort of the baby whilst wearing the outfit. Go for fabrics that are lightweight and soft on the skin. Avoid nylon, rayon and polyester as they are quite scratchy fabrics. See my list of the best fabrics to make baby clothes with below.
- Safety – think about the safety of the fabric. Synthetic fabrics may not catch fire easily, but they can burn badly once they are alight. Cotton and cotton mixes can burn very easily, so make sure to follow fabric guidelines especially if you are making nightwear for a baby.
- Laundering – Ideally, baby clothes should be super easy to wash in a washing machine. Also, make sure the fabric can be washed at a suitable temperature and won’t shrink. Think about the nature of the outfit you are making. If the outfit you are making is for a special occasion it is less important that it can be easily laundered.
- Colour and pattern – think about the skin tone / likely skin tone of the baby you are making for. Think also about going with a plain fabric if you are just starting out sewing baby clothes, it will be easier than trying to work with a pattern.
2. WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BABY CLOTHES
1. SEWING MACHINE
Ideally, you should use a sewing machine to make baby clothes because the stitching will be stronger. This is particularly important for when making clothes for babies who are mobile, crawling and toddling, because there will be a lot of wear on their clothes.
2. SEWING KIT
Here’s a list of the basic things it’s good to have to hand in a sewing kit when you’re making baby clothes.
- 8” Dressmaker’s Shears – super sharp to cut nice clean edges.
- 5” sewing scissors – for cutting out notches, buttonholes, loose threads
- Basic scissors for cutting paper patterns. Inexpensive office scissors will do.
- Needles – for hand-finishing
- Glass head pins go for glass heads rather than plastic, so you can use them with an iron.
- Pincushion – magnetic ones are best for speed
- Seam ripper for undoing stitches
- Tape measure for measuring
- Tailor’s chalk for marking up your fabric
- Transparent ruler so you can see from one marked measure to another
Mercerized-cotton thread is a great all-rounder for cotton, rayon and linen. Go for size 50, which is medium thickness.
Of course, you will need fabric! I’ve put a list of the best fabrics for making baby clothes below.
3. BEST FABRICS FOR MAKING BABY CLOTHES
Here is a list of the best fabrics to sew baby clothes with. These fabrics are great for making baby rompers, baby grows and all sorts of other baby clothes.
Do bear in mind that if you are a complete beginner at sewing it is best to use a fabric that doesn’t have any stretch, as it is much easier to control. And always check a baby clothes pattern for which fabrics are best to use.
- Eyelet cotton
- Broderie Anglaise fabric
- Lawn cotton
- Bamboo rayon (this will have stretch if it’s mixed with lycra)
- Jersey knit fabric (not for beginners!)
4. BENEFITS OF MAKING BABY CLOTHES
- You can make special outfits more cheaply than buying them (the reality is that you won’t really save money by making baby basics)
- You are creating something unique the baby who wears it
- It’s more environmentally friendly if you upcycle old clothes as fabric for baby clothes
- If you’re good at making baby clothes you could sell them to make extra money on Etsy
- Handmade baby clothes make really meaningful gifts
- You could discover a new hobby and craft skill
- Creating something for your baby is a great way to relax and unwind
- It’s a great way to while away the final weeks before your baby is due
5. WHAT CAN I SEW FOR A BABY?
Here’s a list of ideas of things you can sew for a baby aside from baby clothes:
- Baby changing mat
- Baby blanket
- Burp cloths
- Baby bibs
- Crinkle Sheets
- Baby quilt
Make more baby clothes and projects:
I hope you’ve found my list of free baby sewing patterns useful. Here are links to my other baby sewing and knitting posts:
- ALL THE NEW MOM AND BABY POSTS IN ONE PLACE
- FIRST TRIMESTER PREGNANCY TIPS
- 5 FIRST TRIMESTER PREGNANCY MUST-HAVES
- WHAT TO PUT IN A MORNING SICKNESS SURVIVAL KIT
- 30 NATURAL REMEDIES FOR MORNING SICKNESS
- WHAT TO PUT IN A FIRST TRIMESTER CARE PACKAGE
- HOSPITAL BAG ESSENTIALS CHECKLIST: AKA THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY NEED FOR YOU AND YOUR NEWBORN BABY
- FREE HOSPITAL BAG CHECKLIST PDF PRINTABLE
- STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO WRITING A BIRTH PLAN
- COPING WITH POLYHYDRAMNIOS
- THE ULTIMATE BABY REGISTRY CHECKLIST AND BEST REGISTRIES GUIDE
- IS IT RUDE TO PUT EXPENSIVE ITEMS ON BABY REGISTRY?
- WHAT DO YOU NEED AFTER GIVING BIRTH?
- NEWBORN BABY ESSENTIALS CHECKLIST LIST. PLUS FREE PRINTABLE CHECKLIST
- BUILDING TOYS FOR BABIES
- BEST BEDSIDE CO-SLEEPER CRIBS AND BASSINETS 2020
- ESSENTIAL BABY TOYS FOR BABY’S FIRST YEAR
- BABY SLEEP TIPS
- BREASTFEEDING TIPS
- SIMPLE TIPS TO INCREASE BREASTMILK SUPPLY
- TOP TIPS – CRADLE CAP
- INTRODUCING SOLIDS WITH BABY LED WEANING
- HOW TO RELIEVE BABY REFLUX
- TOP TIPS TO REDUCE COLIC
Pin to save: