This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Amazon affiliate disclosure at the bottom of this page or click here
Here is my big list of free and easy to make homemade Christmas card ideas for kids. There are ideas suitable for toddlers to make right the way through to card crafts for kids in their tweens and teens.
There is surely nothing more delightful than receiving a homemade Christmas card from a child. But Christmas card making is also a great Christmas craft activity for excited kids in the run-up to the festive season.
12 FREE AND EASY HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS CARD IDEAS FOR KIDS
Making Christmas cards is a bit of a rite of passage for kids. Of course a lot of schools now do the thing where the kids design a card and it gets printed.
But there’s something super special about a handmade Christmas card crafted by a child.
That said, when life is a hectic juggle, it can be hard to magic up an easy to make Christmas card idea that stands a good chance of looking good when it’s finished.
So that is why I’ve taken the time to search out the best Christmas card ideas that are perfect for kids to make.
Before you dive into the list to see which handmade card ideas your children might like to make. I thought it would be useful to put together a list of tips for having a successful card crafting session.
Related: Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
14 USEFUL TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS CARDS WITH KIDS
I am well aware that the fantasy of a lovely crafting session with young children can go awry and that older kids can start something that they don’t get around to finishing. So use these tips to get prepared for productive Christmas card making!
- Start early if you want to avoid late night panic finishing
- Aim for between 5 – 10 cards at a time
- Don’t be surprised if your child says ‘I’ve finished’ after one card
- If you’re making cards with younger children, aim to make two or three cards yourself for every one card your child does
- Make a range of different cards else kids will get bored
- Avoid designs that need young kids to be precise
- Invest in good scissors for kids who can cut – scissors for kids can be frustrating – just make sure to be around to be safety monitor. These Amazon Basics scissors are spot on, they’re soft grip, which is great for kid’s hands and they’ve got a good titanium blade – with an 81% 5* customer rating. Add the scissors to your crafting toolkit
- Prepare! Fold cards, pre-cut shapes, pre-print basic elements. I’ll let you into a secret, I cheat by buying ready-folded cards that come with matching envelopes
- Regular glitter has been found to be dreadful for the environment, but luckily you can buy eco-friendly glitter that is biodegradable, like this biodegradable glitter by Hemway
- Use household items – raid the recycling! – as craft materials to avoid spending a fortune buying things to craft with
- Create simple paint stamps from potatoes, bottle tops, even toddler hands and feet!
- Build fun learning and exploration into card making to keep kids engaged
- Don’t just stick to Christmas colours – excite kids’ interest with eye popping brights
- Think about what is going to survive the post! Save fragile cards for hand delivery
Got to grips with all the crafting tips? Ready for some Christmas card ideas to start making with your kids? Dive into the list below and find the perfect card designs.
12 EASY AND FREE HOMEMADE CHRISTMAS CARD IDEAS TO MAKE WITH KIDS
SO WHICH CHRISTMAS CARD IDEAS ARE YOU GOING TO MAKE?
I hope this list has given you some inspiration for Christmas card ideas for kids.
If you want to do something personal but are just struggling to find time to produce enough – this was us last year!! – you can always resort to photo cards which can be based on your children’s artwork.
PIN TO SAVE:
You can find a whole bunch more Christmas craft ideas over on my Christmas Pinterest Boards.